Honey Sriracha Meatballs
Written by: Nadeen N. Risi, MS, RDN, LDN
This easy protein can be a great addition to any meal and it can be prepped ahead of time – spend 30 minutes on the weekend and have most of a meal already made for the week. Sweet and spicy, these meatballs can be paired up with so many options such as lentils, a salad, or stir fry dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 6 servings (6 meatballs each)
For the meatballs:
2 pounds 98% lean ground turkey
1 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce:
1/2 cup Sriracha
3 tablespoons coconut aminos (use low sodium soy sauce as an alternative)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix turkey, breadcrumbs, eggs, green onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to shape the meatballs. If you do not have a cookie scoop, roll into 1 ½ inch balls with your hands. It will make 36 meatballs. Place them, spaced apart, on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- While baking, mix all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Make sure to whisk continuously so it does not stick to the pan or burn.
- Once boiling, lower heat to simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken and then remove from heat and set aside.
- When meatballs are cooked completely, toss with the Sriracha sauce. Serve immediately with your favorite grain and vegetables.
Serving Size: 6 meatballs
Calories: 257, Fat: 5.1g, Protein: 40g, Carbohydrates: 15g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sodium: 610mg