Lentil Spaghetti Sauce
Written by: Julia Bumpus, MS, RDN, LDN
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
1 cup chopped onions
½ cup finely chopped carrots
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1, 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
1, 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian-style herbs
1 cup water
½ cup canned lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon dried basil
- Chop the onions and carrots.
- Turn the stove on medium heat.
- Heat the oil in the saucepan and sauté the chopped onions, carrots, & garlic until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve over noodle of choice.
Serving Size: 1/4th of recipe (about 1 cup)
Calories: 130, Fat: 4g, Protein: 4g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 4g, Sodium: 450mg
Nutrition Tip: With recent events, finding ground beef in the grocery store can be challenging! Canned or dried lentils may be easier to find and stock up on and are the perfect substitute for a meatless dish! Requiring only a few ingredients, this delicious spaghetti sauce is higher in fiber and lighter on calories and saturated fat. It makes the perfect topping for your choice of pasta, spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.