Thriving With Diabetes Education Program
Learning you have diabetes is a shock. Don’t settle for just surviving with diabetes when you can thrive! Avance Care’s diabetes education program helps you develop practical strategies that make managing diabetes easier and even enjoyable.
Our diabetes educators will work with you to create a lifestyle plan that helps you manage your blood sugars while still incorporating foods and activities that you love.
Avance Care offers the “Thriving with Diabetes Program” in an individual or group format to best suit your needs.
Avance Care’s diabetes workshop series offers an opportunity to join others in developing practical strategies that make managing diabetes easier and even enjoyable.
Classes are currently offered at our Garner location, with other locations adding classes throughout 2019.
Classes are held Saturday mornings at 876 Timber Drive, Garner, NC 27529. These workshops may be covered by your insurance. Our coordinators will contact your insurance provider to verify your benefits. We also offer an affordable self-pay rate if needed.
Introduction to Diabetes and Preventing Complications
Meet others with diabetes and learn what diabetes is, how it affects your body, and how to monitor your blood sugar effectively. Gain an introductory knowledge into eating healthier and preventing complications.
- Saturday, January 5th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, March 2nd 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, April 27th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
Eating for Health
A class devoted to meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking and TASTE TESTING! Leave the class feeling confident about food choices and equipped with new recipes to better manage your blood sugar, feel more energetic and manage weight.
- Saturday, July 6th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, August 31st 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, October 26th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
Stress Management and Total Body Wellness
Learn and practice stress management techniques and how to promote wellness for your body and mind.
- Saturday, July 20th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, Sept 14th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, Nov 9th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
Healthy Hearts and Group "Choice Topic"
Dive further into healthy eating and total body wellness with a focus on heart health and exercise. Also learn how to prevent diabetes complications.
- Saturday, August 3rd 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, Sept 28th 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
- Saturday, Nov 23rd 11:00 AM-12:30 PM
What Our Program Offers
Two out of three patients achieved an A1C less than 7 within 3 months of starting the program.
Session 1: "Get to Know You" Visit (90-minute visit)
- Discuss your medical history, current lifestyle habits, diabetes self-care behaviors and goals
- Create an individualized learning plan with your dietitian for how to manage your diabetes and overall wellness
- Learn the basics of diabetes, blood sugar monitoring and treatment options available to you
Session 2: Eating Healthy with Diabetes (60-minute visit)
- Review your food and blood sugar journals to learn your patterns
- Learn how your daily eating habits compare with recommendations by participating in a nutritional analysis activity
- Discuss carbohydrate counting, reading food labels, and strategies for dining out
Session 3: Personalized Healthy Eating Plan (60-minute visit)
- Create an individualized meal plan tailored to your food preferences
- Practice meal planning and tips for eating healthier “on the go”
- Receive delicious and healthy recipes to match your meal plan
Session 4: The Daily Dose: Medications and Preventing High and Low Blood Sugar (60-minute visit)
- Review your medications and how they work in your body
- This session may be provided by our clinical pharmacist, who can work with you to optimize your medication regimen
- Discuss additional vitamins, minerals and complementary and alternative medicine
- Learn how to prevent and treat low and high blood sugar and how to navigate sick days
Session 5: Staying Active and Moving Towards Health (60-minute visit)
- Find out how physical activity affects your blood sugar
- Create personalized physical activity goals
- Learn how to reduce your risk of cardiovascular, kidney, eye, and nerve complications and how to care for your feet
Session 6: Getting the Support You Need (60-minute visit)
- Find out how stress affects your blood sugar
- Discuss problem-solving, motivation, stress management, and relaxation techniques, as well as strategies for increasing support from family, friends, healthcare providers, and the community
- Practice stress management techniques such as meditation or breathing exercises, if desired
- Behavioral wellness providers are available to assist with healthy coping and stress management, as needed
Post Program Support
Ongoing follow up sessions are recommended for accountability and additional coaching. We suggest committing to bi-weekly sessions with your dietitian (RDN) for optimal results.
What will it Cost?
Most health insurance plans cover this program provided by a licensed dietitian. In some cases, you may be eligible for unlimited benefits with no co-pay or deductible. Our Specialty Services Coordinators will call your insurance provider to verify your benefits and will alert you of any co-pays or fees, if applicable.
Speak to your healthcare provider for a program referral or call Avance Specialty Services directly at 919-237-1337.